Holden Caulfield is a very interesting and intriguing character. He's so sarcastic, he reminds me of myself in a way. Although he acts this way, I think that this behavior is a result of how he views life. I think Holden is overwhelmed with how much the world has to offer and this immature and negative attitude just shows that he's simply afraid of the world; how dangerous it is, how successful you can be, how you can live with no set home for a couple days, etc. I believe that this view on life has a lot to do with the death of his brother, Allie. It seemed like after Allie died, he almost gave up what he could have and what he did have, much like Mersault in The Stranger. Holden seems to have disconnected himself from society as a result of the death of his brother. He's just like the ducks in the lagoon that he keeps asking about. I think him asking about the ducks is very symbolic to his character. "Then I thought of something, all of a sudden. 'Hey, listen,' I said. 'You know those ducks in that lagoon right near Central Park South? That little lake? By any chance, do you happen to know where they go, the ducks, when it gets all frozen over? Do you happen to know, by any chance?'" (pg. 60). His persistence in asking about these ducks gives the reader an inkling on how lost Holden Caulfield is. The ducks represent himself and it seems like he's asking other people what he should do next in his life. It's like Holden wants some sort of routine like the ducks have, they leave in the winter and come back in the spring. He has no sort of routine, no sense of direction unlike the ducks. Holden is a very socially awkward young man and I think it is because he doesn't have that sense of direction or motivation much like other people do or other species as a matter of fact.
No comments:
Post a Comment